Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Mushroom and Spinach Stuffed Shells

I love to cook. I went to lunch with my good friend Nancy yesterday and on the way there she said that since she cooks for everyone else, she doesn't like to cook for herself. I am all for cooking for others, but if I get to the point where I don't wanna cook for myself - I don't get to eat. Being vegan in an extremely rural area means making most of my food all of the time. I am so excited to tell you that this recipe comes together in about 30 minutes of prep time and just needs 30 minutes to bake. Here is what you need:
 
18 jumbo shells
1 can of Hunts Garlic and Herb Pasta Sauce (or your own favorite sauce - keep in mind making it from scratch will add time to the recipe)
1 cup Daiya shreds (mozzarella flavored)
 
Filling:
5 oz frozen spinach (cooked according to package directions)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup sweet onion, diced
1 Tbs olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic
1 block of super firm tofu (refrigerated kind)
2 Tbs lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
 
Sauté the mushrooms, garlic and onions in the olive oil. While that is cooking take a fork and crumble the tofu. Once the onions are tender and translucent stir the onion, garlic mushroom mixture as well as the cooked spinach, lemon juice, nutritional yeast flakes, salt and pepper. It should look something like this.




 
The next couple of steps should be pretty obvious, but you will want to take the cooled shells, don't try to do it with hot shell, and stuff them.  You will need to grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and place a layer of sauce in the bottom of the pan. Next using a spoon fill the shells and place them in the pan. A 9x13 pan will fit 18 shells.

Pour the rest of the can of sauce over the shells once they are all in the pan and sprinkle with the Daiya mozzarella shreds.


Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve while hot and enjoy!


1 comment: