Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Pulled Jackfruit

This week I have been doing everything I can to prepare for girls camp. I have done loads and loads of laundry, as well as shopping and even some cooking ahead of time. I got the menu this week and I noticed pulled pork on the menu. In the last 3 years I have made a lot of things, but veg pulled pork wasn't one of them. So I turned to my good friend (the internet) for some ideas. Let me just say there are some extremely creative people out there when it comes to this. I saw some using seitan or other mock meats, others using oyster mushrooms but the most interesting, to me at least, was canned jackfruit. It was new to me which I found scary but also a little exciting. So I took myself to the Asian food market and plopped down $1.49 for a can of green jackfruit in brine. All the blogs said not to get the one in syrup but instead to get one in either water or brine, so that's what I did. 

Next I opened the can and drained off the brine and rinsed it we'll. the next thing I did was take the center more firm part off. Now some people used knives for this step but I just used my hands. I also shredded the fruit as I went and removed any seeds or pods as I went. It looked something like this.
Next I mixed together a rub. I used:
1tsp granulated garlic
1tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground mustard

I just stirred all the spices together and rubbed it into the "meat". Next I cut up some onion and cooked it in a little bit of olive oil until it was soft and starting to caramelize. Add in the seasoned "meat" and continue to cook an additional 5 minutes. Next you add in about 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Spray a baking sheet with oil and spread in a thin layer. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve on your favorite roll. Enjoy and Happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment