Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lemon vegan cheesecake

A few weeks ago I saw a post from one of my Facebook friends for a raw vegan cheesecake, I had most of the ingredients on hand, but it took a while to get up the time to make it. I was babysitting for my brother two weeks ago and last weekend I went to visit my sister. So now that I'm home I figured I'd dig in. My crust was a little dry so I think next time I'll double the dates (no need for you to, I've already done that for you below).

The recipe is from the Roost blog who states they (tweaked from Emily Lee Angell's recipe)

For the Crust

1 cup raw almonds soaked
1 cup raw walnuts
1 cup dates, pitted (if dates are really dry, put them in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes, discard water)
1/4 cup non-sweetened coconut flakes
Place almonds and dates in a food processor and mix until chopped and well incorporated. Cover the bottom of a 9inch spring form cake pan with the coconut flakes (this prevents the cake from sticking the the pan). Pour the almond mixture on top of the coconut flakes , spread out and mold into the cake pan.

For the Filling

3 cups raw cashews
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup raw honey (you can use regular honey if you don't want to go 100% raw)
3/4 cup raw coconut oil (you do not have to warm it, just use it straight out of jar)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp celtic sea salt

To make the cheese, blend the cashews, lemon, honey, coconut oil, vanilla/vanilla bean, and sea salt. Blend until smooth and adjust to taste. (For the best results you need to use a high speed blender!)
Pour mixture on top of the "crust" and carefully tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles.

Place the pan in the freezer for at least three hours or overnight. Before serving place on counter to thaw slightly. I put a little chocolate syrup on top. Enjoy!

Ps my honey was kind of old and really dark, so it looks kind of caramel colored.

No comments:

Post a Comment