Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

And we're off. Juice Fast - Day one

So today was a lot harder than I thought, not that my juices weren't great, it is just kind of strange not to eat anything, but be drinking fluids. What I mean by that is that fasting is not strange since as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I fast once a month. The difference here is that when I fast, for church, I abstain from food and liquid.
So just drinking juice, will take some getting used to. This was not something that I thought about before starting the fast. I think I was so excited to get started that I just jumped in with both feet. Which if you know me, that is not necessarily a bad thing since I can be a bit of a procrastinator :)
Ok so down to business.

Breakfast: Watermelon Juice.
Ingredients: 1/4 Watermelon.
Cut watermelon into 4 pieces. You now have enough for 4 days. Take your quarter and cut into smaller pieces. Not too small just small enough to fit into the juicer. Cindi Trunk reccomended that I leave the rind on to keep the juice from getting too sweet. I will admit, it seemed a little strange to me to leave the rind on but it was pretty good.






Push your pieces through the juicer
using the pusher. I will be using a Jack LaLanne Power Juicer. It is great, see how litle was left over from a 1/4 of a watermelon. They are on sale right now on the website buy one get one free, just pay shipping and handling on both items. This is a great sale and a fantastic juicer if you are in the market for one. Get a buddy to go in with you and spend less than $100 each. Below is a picture of my finished juice product. It is in a half gallon Tupperware Pitcher since I need to be able to take it with me to work.

Lunch: Mean Green Juice

Ingredients:

1 bunch of kale
4 stalks of celery
1/2 lemon
2 Granny Smith Apples
1 cucumber

Put through the juicer in the order listed. I messed up and left the Kale for last, so I had to add an extra Cucumber to get the Kale out. Since it is fiborous I reccomend that you juice it first so that the other ingredients have a chance to push it all through.

I have to admit that lunch was harder than breakfast. First of all I work 7am-3pm, so there aren't a lot of people at work when I get there, but once people started to arrive and make food in the kitchen which is only about 100 feet from my desk, my body started to want food to eat, not just juice.

The mean green is ok, but definately not my favorite. Here is a picture of it in a pink bottle. I realize that pink and green are not necessarily the best color combo, but this is what I had on hand. It may be a little hard to read but I had just over 24 ounces of juice.
So I got home from work about 3:45 and was feeling pretty good. I still had 16 ounces of my watermelon juice from this morning, so I drank it to tide me over until dinner.

Dinner: Popeye Juice
Ingredients:

4 ounces of baby spinach
1 pound of carrots peeled
1 mango pitted, but not peeled
1 cucumber, peeled

Yes I made up the name of this juice, and the recipe too. I figured I would get creative with the juice names, when they are my own creation. I just opened the fridge and pulled some stuff out to make juice with.

I got a wicked good deal on cucumbers last Saturday at the Flea Market huge cucumbers 2/$1. Cucumbers are a good additive to juice as you get a lot of juice out of just one. Spinach, Carrots and Mangoes on the other hand don't produce as much so I thought it would be a good combination of ingredients, plus I love carrot mango juice.

This was really good I enjoyed it a lot. I thought that the colors were pretty, of course I mixed it really well before drinking it. I just wish it could have held one of the colors. It was kind of brown after mixing it all together.


Here is a picture of it in my cup. Not the most appetizing color, but the taste was really good and lets face it that is what counts.


One more confession, not having had any food to chew today, I am tempted to eat that avacado in the fridge as it won't juice or last 10 days and the others I bought on Saturday were FABULOUS!

But, I am going to be strong and resist. I cut it up into pieces and placed it in a ziploc bag in the freezer to make ice cream once the juice fast is over. It will give me a treat to look forward to and get the temptation out of my face whenever I open the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment