Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Black Beans and Lasagna

OK I know what you are thinking and I did make black beans and lasagna today, but not necessarily to be eaten together. I was making the beans and flipping through my only vegan cookbook that I own. Don't get me wrong I have several that I borrowed from the library, so the possiblities are endless.

I knew I wanted to make Parmazano as I had seen it a few days ago and was really wanting to make it. Since I bought nutritional yeast flakes yesterday at Native Sun, I decided to go for it tonight. It was super easy here is the recipe.
1c. Nutritional Yeast Flakes
1/2 c. raw almonds, blanched and patted dry
1/2 teaspoon salt
Place all ingredients in food processor and process for several minutes until the almonds are very finely ground. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

to blanche almonds: place them in a pot and cover them with water. place on stove and boil 1-2 minutes. rinse with cold water and pinch skin between thumb and forefinger to peel off skin.

Ok so I made this and it was awesome, but the jar I had to put it in was a little too small. Looking further in the book I spotted a recipe for vegan cottage cheese and luckily I had most of the ingredients ( I was missing onion powder). So since I had leftover parmazano and all the ingredients to make the cottage cheese, I decided to make lasagna. The cottage cheese was super easy and tasty too. Here's what you need:
1 pkg firm tofu, drained and well mashed
2/3 c. dairy free mayo
3 tsp no salt seasoning (this is what I used since it had onion powder and garlic powder in it) The original recipe calls for 2 tsp onion powder and 1tsp garlic powder
Place all ingredients in the food processor and mix thoroughly. Store in the refridgerator.
So I have a parmesan substitute and a cottage cheese substitute, lasagna was a no brainer. It was good too. I just layered it similar to regular lasagna. In the bottom of a baking dish I poured some sauce, next I placed noodles on top of them, placed some of the cottage cheese mixture on top of that, added some more sauce, noodles and cream cheese mixture. I added more noodles and sauce and then placed the parmazano on top and baked it for 30 minutes. It was really good. Come over and I will feed you some :)



No comments:

Post a Comment