Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Kale Soup

I decided to go grocery shopping on my way home from work today. Before I went Vegan that meant, hitting Publix and buying almost everything that was BOGO along with anything else that struck my fancy. Today was very different. I went to Publix, I had a $5 off $30 coupon how could I resist, plus it was payday. Gotta get some food in the house before the bills eat my food budget.

I got some new staples. Like Vegan butter, cream cheese and mayonnaise. These are all made without dairy. I tried a bit of the Toufutti better than cream cheese, and it was pretty good. None of them were on sale, but I figured if I spread the $5 off between these 3 items I still did pretty good. I also got some organic soy milk as silk is $2.50 this week at Publix. I also splurged on some chocolate almond milk, can you tell I am missing chocolate, in my defense it had a $1 off coupon on it. Ok down to business, the soup. This was my last ditch effort to like Kale. I have to say after tonight I am in LOVE.

This soup was awesome. I didn't have a recipe and was too hungry to look for one, so I just threw some stuff in a pot and called it Soup. I have done this a lot over the years and I have NOT always gotten good results. Luck was on my side today though I have eaten 2 bowls and am tempted to go for another.

Here is what I put in the soup:
2/3 bunch of Kale, washed and chopped
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can of navy beans rinsed
1 can of diced potatoes ( I don't usually use canned potatoes, but this was all I had)
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
Here is what you do. Get a soup pot, fill it half full of water. Put pot on high heat and add bouillon cubes. When water comes to a boil add chopped kale and carrots. Let boil about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Let simmer 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment