Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Whole Wheat Oat Bread

I was flipping through Entertaining for a Veggie Planet and I came across this recipe for bread. I thought hey my lesson tomorrow is on the sacrament, how about I make bread and take in some juice so we can re-enact the last supper, well kind of. I mean I teach 4 and 5 year olds. It was a big hit with the kids. Rowan actually said hey I am still hungry in an attempt to get more, and when I was asking the children what their favorite food is Lacey said bread and juice. I have to admit the bread was really good. Here is what you need:

6tbs molasses
4 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
3 tbs canola oil
1 tsp salt
1 c. Rolled Oats
2 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
2 1/2 c. unbleached white flour

In the bowl of a stand mixer combine 2 1/4 c. very warm water and a drop of the molasses. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and wait about 5 minutes for it to foam. Stir in the remaining molasses, canola oil, and salt until well combined.

Add the oats and gradually add the flour, using the dough hook attachment and mix for 5 minutes.

Transfer the dough to a large oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and dishtowel, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about an hour. Oil a baking sheet and divide dough into 3 balls. Arrange the balls on the baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap and a dish towel, let rise again about 30 minutes. Bake loaves about 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature on cooling racks.

Note: I had to use a cookie sheet and a jelly roll pan in order to have enough space for the loaves not to touch. I also baked them in seperate batches as I was unsure of the amount of space needed for the bread to rise once baking. This is why one of the loaves pictured above is a slightly different color.

No comments:

Post a Comment